Monday, November 19, 2007

A Modest Grump Of A Prayer For Oklahoma

My good friend and fellow Blogger The Erudite Redneck who got me into to this shit in the first place has posted a Thanksgiving Centennial prayer on his web site. https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7869981&postID=6435699717604532108
(someday soon I'll learn how to put them blogs out to the side, that I read and recommend)

So he inspired me (that doesn't sound right somehow) to do my own little grump of a prayer.

A modest and alternate prayer:
Lord of Life, maybe we should not look too hard towards Oklahoma's historical past for lessons on how to follow you into the future.

I mean, dear Jesus, we made sure that Jim Crow was alive and well at the State Constitution Convention, and even though the Choctaw and Cherokees were there in force we included a segregation clause against Indians that wasn't repealed until 1969. The five tribes of course traded that clause for their two Indian only colleges in Durant and Tahlequah and because they were afeared of the political clout of them wild Indians to the west in Oklahoma Territory.

Come to think of it Jim Crow himself was a compromise between the separatist Blacks and the separatist Whites. The Blacks traded old Crow for Langston University and autonomy for their black towns. So our history is a series of compromise of the radicals not the wishes of the main steam.

Now we look at today after 100 years Lord and see them radicals at work again race baiting for personal gain and political power.

Dear Jesus as I look at our centennial events and squint just a bit, I see a line that is drawn between them and us. We give them bread and circus in the ball park and reserve the personal close up pleasures for those with the money to buy them and the elite contacts to get the tickets in the first place.

As usual Lord we parade out the required tame Indians and Blacks to ride the required floats, but we are damn sure not going to let them Mexicans get any historical credit for making Oklahoma. Although they owned the place for 200 years, it is not politically correct to remember anything they did here.

As for the French, well we best not bring them up at all.

I do, dear Jesus, give thanks that the Indian Princess bride of Indian Territory this year was not wearing buckskins and moccasins as in former re-enactments and that the White male Oklahoma Territory groom wasn't in his usual boots, spurs,six gun, and other Cowboy attire. I am sorry, Jesus, that we none the less saw fit to do the wedding of the two territories anyway as in the past. Of course what they always leave out is Teddy Roosevelt there with his damn shotgun forcing these two into an illegal racially mixed marriage. I'd like to see that aspect portrayed some day Jesus .

And last dear Lord, I thank you for the near $100 a barrel oil prices recently that allowed us to finance this celebration without a tax increase that we would have never in a million years got through the legislature.

I tell you what, Lord, you give us another 100 years and we'll do better, I'm sure.
Of course, I won't be here to account for it, so I can't make any hard and fast trades offs with you to get your blessings. So I am counting on your advanced sense of humor Lord to make the deal.
---Amen

3 comments:

Pecheur said...

I loved the part with the French!!

Happy Thanksgiving. Wish you a lot of turkey to eat

drlobojo said...

Thanks Pecheur, and the same turkey day blessing to you and yours. Yep, not one Okie in a thousand even knows (one in 10,000 cares)that there is a significant French participation in our State's History.

Erudite Redneck said...

Dang, I like to missed this. Very good, Drlobojo. A great balance to my own tendency to see history through roserock-colored glasses.