Sunday, July 19, 2009

Star To Asterisk

I'm fond of symbols.
They are a form of communication that can be straight forward or secret.
The advertising industry uses symbols to sell products, quite often wrongly without knowing what they mean.

So when I drove by my neighborhood grocery store and noticed it had a new sign I just had to wonder why? So what did that design mean?

Wal-Mart it seems is no longer Wal (star) Mart but is now Walmart (asterisk).

Say what? Asterisk? It's a starburst says the new alloneword Walmart. Naw, it is an asterisk.

Asterisk:: the character * used in printing or writing as a reference mark, as an indication of the omission of letters or words, to denote a hypothetical or unattested linguistic form, or for various arbitrary meanings.

At least it originally ment little star, but starburst?

Well Walmart* is going green and endorses Obama's Health Bill so what the heck, I guess I won't bitch too much. But it is going to take me a while not to automatically look at the bottom of the sign to see what the asterisk is refering to.












Source

2 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Interesting take on a retailer history. Suppose they will catch
this outfit ?

drlobojo said...

Hi, BB.
I just couldn't believe they were really using an asterisk.

As for catching up with the HBC, I think not, but then I could vaguely discern a possible merger in 20 years or so. Maybe if they do the will call it BLUESUN Corp.