Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Crow's Funeral



"The sound of many crows calling at once filled the air. I peeked out the window, and everywhere I could see, crows, maybe a couple hundred of them. They were on the sidewalk. They were on the power lines. They were on the logs that served as stops for parked cars, and they were in the trees. Almost hidden against one of the logs, I saw a dead crow. There were a few crows standing near the body. The noise continued for about a minute or so, when suddenly, an unseen conductor waved his baton, and the cawing stopped. The silence was equally as loud.There was a pause.Then, the invisible conductor again waved his baton, and there was a great and noisy flurry of feathers, as the crows took off and flew in all directions. Soon they were gone, leaving their lifeless kin to the elements. I continued my watch in silent awe, feeling that I had just witnessed something few have seen. "




"In the various articles and books I have read about the corvids and their behavior, the authors cannot agree as to whether the Crow Funeral is fact or legend. Based on what I observed, and barring evidence to the contrary, I believe that I indeed observed the crow's version of what we would call, a funeral." ---Carl Cook

2 comments:

Carol said...

Interesting, and appropriately Halloweeny. We get lots of crows (or similar big black birds) in our backyard and the kitties love them.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Crows are extremely intelligent birds, and I guess I wouldn't really be surprised if, like elephants, they expressed some kind of emotion at the loss of one of their own. The things we really know about other creatures is huge.