Monday, June 29, 2009

Two New Words


Visiting the Cajun Riviera in Southwestern Louisiana a few weeks ago I learned two new words. First let me say I love trash. Good trash that is. Beach-combing is one of my favorite ways to collect stuff. Along the beaches here in SW Louisiana there is a lot of stuff, new, old , and fossilized.


But the two new words I learned had to do with where the trash was and how it got there.


"... debris moved by waves is commonly stranded along the wrack line of estuaries. The location of the wrack line is a function of the swash uprush ..."


The two new words are: wrack and swash


Wrack: Something driven by the sea.


Swash: (uprush and backwash), in geography, is the water that washes up on shore after an incoming wave has broken.




2 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Swash and Wrack? Am still trying to sort out flotsam and jetsam...

drlobojo said...

I have begun to wonder what a swash buckle is.