Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Old Chevy Truck R.I.P.

It is an ill wind....
So as General Motors came to the end of the year, they were giving really big rebates on their old 2008 models. I found one that had been on the lot for 14 months. Ye Ole Basic Truck, roll up windows, manual locks, rubber mats, vinyl seats, and nothing not basic. Well, except that it had XM/SIRUS Satellite Radio and OnStar (you wonder why GMC was going broke). Of course their free trial period will run out soon and then I will have a useless satellite radio and a disconnected OnStar.



Mine old truck was the same make and size as my new truck. It however was a 1983 model that had 220,000 miles on it. When it came time to change over to my new truck it was a sad day. The transmission was dead and the brakes gone on my 83 and so I ended up just giving it away to a friend who was trying to rebuild an 82 model of the same truck. I drove her (very carefully) one last time to my buddy's house and left her there.




One thing about an old truck is that you can stick all sorts of stuff on it and not feel guilty.



Another advantage is that the vagengiest is too tired to give you much trouble when you get a new truck. Oh, yes and you can put all sorts of bobble heads on the dashboard.




Stickers are good too.

And the wife doesn't care how messy it is because she is never going to ride in it anyway.
But a new truck, see the red thing on the other side of the cab, a new truck, she says, doesn't need the bobble heads, or the stickers, or the Indian blanket to sit on, or the milk carton case to hold the brake fluid and oil. A new truck, well she might even drive it, says she.
Great.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

hee hee

BB-Idaho said...

That old truck had one great value: no one would steal it....

drlobojo said...

Hell, they couldn't of even got it started. It took three magic incantations to get the engine to turn over.

Pecheur said...

It's sad to see her go!! Man, I miss those oldies but goodies.

Duncan Moredock said...

Yoda seems to be enjoying riding your truck along with Elvis Stitch! :-) It's great that you had your truck beside throughout all those years, but sometimes you just have to let a precious one go. After all, everything that has a beginning has an end. Well, I bet you've found a better one!