Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tales of the Drive About:Seven : EAGLES and HAWKS

The highway between Klamath, Oregon and Bend, Oregon is in most places a tunnel of trees. Trees in the bazillion numb my senses, so that I was alert enough to see the bird off to the side of the road sitting on a spire of a tree, was a miracle. We are used to seeing red-tailed hawks on telephone poles and fence posts along the roads of Oklahoma. This bird was some what larger than that.



Yep it was an eagle. Sitting there, ignoring the traffic, was an eagle. So I turned around and drove back to take pictures. Second miracle, the bird was still there.



Car's honked as I diligently tried to get close enough. The Eagle stayed put.



Thirty some shots latter, I decided to let him be. So I left him on the spire beside the road and went on my way.



A week or so later I was driving down a highway in Eastern Nevada. The land was covered with 8 to 10 foot scrub. The 15 feet tall abandoned telegraph poles were the highest perch anywhere in the vast flat expanse we were traveling though. Sure enough there were eagles perched on the poles. So I tried to get several pictures. Some photos came out.



A few hundred miles further on we entered Utah and some farms lands.



Down the road in front of a farmers house I notice two large birds in the cottonwood trees in his front yard. One was a Bald Eagle.




The other was a very large hawk, I think.




He (she?) was antsy, and left soon after I started taking pictures.





The hawk left. But the eagle stayed.





And the Eagle stayed, and stayed and stayed.





So finally I left. Imagine, having a Bald Eagle just hanging around in your front yard.

So I need the help of those who know. I recognize the mature Bald Eagle of course, but are the other two eagles show immature Bald Eagles or Golden Eagles or what? Also, that's an awfully big hawk. What kind is it? It is in the SW corner of Utah.
Thanks for the help.

12 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

You've been tagged.

Dr. Bill Loney said...

Doc,

Im figurin if somebody could wrangle me up one of them eagles, they mighta could help keep ol' man Perkins emus offa my property.
Course then, that there eagle might start attackin me. So I'd have to getta condor cause thats the only thing that can run eagles off. And everybody knows the only thing gets ridda condors is... you guessed it...emus. Its justa damn vicious carousel of oversized bird maddness!!

drlobojo said...

Yes, just a rapid raptious raptor repeditiveness.

Dr. Bill Loney said...

Oh no...I aint needin no dinersores...its again' Loney Mountain Neighborhood Association rules...oddly enough, man-killer emus aint. I might bring up this lil conflictory at our nex meetin...shoot, a man ougtta be able to have dinersores if theys only guard-dinersores.

drlobojo said...

Hell an Emu, like the eagles, hawks, and even sparrows are just later day dinosaurs. Early versions shouldn't be discriminated against, just cause they don't have feathers. Or did they?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feathered_dinosaurs

Pecheur said...

No clue about bird ID. Loved the Bald Eagle pix. If only I could ever see one in real life.

But we got to see a red fox the other day. It was so nice and we felt blessed to have seen it.

drlobojo said...

Pechur,back in 1972, I spent two days trying to catch a glimps of a pair of bald eagles in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Now they can be seen manyplaces in Oklahoma without extrodinary effort.

In fact, last fall laying in my hammock, I watched one fly over my house going North.

Apparently they are coming back from the brink. Ive seen them in Missouri, Lousinana, Nebraska, South and North Dakota, Virginia, and even....even in Texas.

I suspect you'll see quite a few in the years to come. But stay away from Loney Mountain, I think they must and eat them there.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and super photography too. Must be fun birding in the West with a Lobojo.

OKTenor said...

Nice, Joe. We had occasion to see several osprey in Florida in November, along with a profusion of pelicans and other sea birds.

drlobojo said...

OK-T we need to get together and you tell me about that excursion.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

First, I'm not sure but I think the first one is an actual Golden. They are larger than the Bald. That's one big honking bird in that photo, and the wingspan looks about right.

Second, on Balds. We have them winter on the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, with tours for eagle watching, usually in January (these rivers usually don't freeze up in certain areas; the eagles go and feed in these ice-free zones).

Third, on Balds. In the summer of '05, was on the southern tip of the Delmarva Peninsula and watched a Bald Eagle fish in the shallows, only to be harassed by a couple hawkish birds that may have been osprey. My wife and I watched as the eagle tried to dodge them, but ended up dropping its catch, said fish being caught in mid-air by one of the harassing smaller raptors.

Fourth, Dr. Bill, your presence is a joy.

Fifth, I'm not sure what that hawk is. It isn't a redtail, which I see around here - on telephone poles, mailboxes, fenceposts, and once nearly the windshield of my car (it had a rabbit in its claws and was heading out of some scrub I happened to be driving by; scared the crap out of me).

Erudite Redneck said...

Great pics of great sights, DrLobojo!!