Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What Next?


What's Next?

Tuesday night was a vindication of 30 years worth of personal and professional effort.
I slept late Wednesday morning. I was exhausted from the tension.
Then I find that even on this day of triumph, I'm accused of being an ignorant racist. Should never try for satire on a blog I guess.

Now that the election is over, so am I. Well, for a while that is. I'm taking a sabbatical. OK, it is a vacation. Going out to New Mexico to the VLA for a time and then over to the Heard Museum in Arizona. After that I'm headed to the Agua Mansa cemetery in California to visit Louis Robidoux's grave and then his mill site. Then to Laws, California and its RR museum and up to the lava fields where Captain Jack and his Modocs fought. A few days later I'll be at Newport Beach to stay at the Hotel named for Sylvia Beach, the Paris bookseller. After that, time with my family in Springfield Or. and then, dang it, I'll turn around and come home. Slowly I think.

7 comments:

Trixie said...

Have a great vacation! Hope Junior is going with you. He needs some sunshine too.

TStockmann said...

Safe trip!

Realy, though - comments? Pffft. Keep saying what you want to say.

Kirsten said...

Hope you have a safe and rejuvinatigng trip! Please Give my regards to Sylvia and Mo. ;-)

drlobojo said...

Trixie, yes, JTB will be on the trip. He has had trouble with "voice" lately. He has material backed up in a stack twice as tall as he is. Maybe he was too worried about McCain and Palin being elected. He said they didn't seem to be "bear friendly" after all. He was upset at the Griz DNA study being mocked and at the Polar Bear killing ban being lifted. Maybe we can calm him down a bit.

TS, don't worry I always have. (Thus my early retirement:))

Kristen, we have the Hemingway room reserved at Sylvia's. I think I'll go to Mo's proper this time, as well as spend time at the aquarium. Anything else special around there?

drlobojo said...

P.S. Make that officially 33 years not 30.

Kirsten said...

Well, I always like the black rock beach out at Yaquina Head lighthouse. The lighthouse itself is nice, and there's a great view up and down the coast from there on a clear day (and good whale watching, too), but there's also a funky little beach down a set of wooden stairs. The rocks have tumbled about in the tide and are smooth and very round. Nice tide pools down there, too, and usually a good bit of wildlife on the nearby rocks.

Erudite Redneck said...

Pix of the VLA, please. If you can get some elevation far enough away.