Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pelicans of the Oregon Coast

It may seem strange to people but Pelicans are common to Oklahoma where I live, and have been since the Pleistocene.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Salt_Plains_National_Wildlife_Refuge
So I've had a long term affection for them and the beauty of their flight.
I must admit that the light is much better for photographing them along the Oregon Coast however, and of course these are a different sub-species. Oh yes, and believe it or not, the wind is calmer along the Oregon Coast.



The first and the last two photographs were taken along the Southern Oregon Coast at the Whales Head State Park Beach. It is a secluded cove, with a steep and seriously rough road down to it.


This fellow is just touching down for a landing.


The second and third photos above were taken along the Pistol River State Park near where the Myers Creek empties into the ocean. There seemed to be a small shoal of fish that attracted several kinds of birds there.


I was able to get several silhouette pictures like this one.



This is my favorite picture from the trip. It was taken near sunset at Whales Head beach with a 15X telephoto and a digital Sony camera. I just love the light.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

I can't wait to go visit them again myself. I hope you told them "hey" for me.

Kirsten said...

Especially like the second one down, as the bird looks to be walking on water. But the grey-toned one better fits my memories.

drlobojo said...

And Trixie, they all said "HeY" back to you.

Yep, I've got several dozen versions of the grey-toned one. I felt very lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get the other shots with the light from the side.