Friday, August 29, 2008

Oklahoma's "un-offical" hurricane August 19, 2007

My daughter is preparing for Gustaf to hit Louisiana. That reminded me that last year Oklahoma had its first Category I Hurricane. I think its name was Erin. Not sure if it kept the name it originally had because it rolled across Texas hit a frontal system and was pushed up SE New Mexico across the Texas Panhandle and reformed over Oklahoma.



With sustained winds of 75 mph and gust up to 100 mph and a well defined "eye" it was the first, maybe only, "hurricane" Oklahoma has ever had.


(click to see motion)

Now we really should be immune from these things, I mean, well, we have tornadoes up to F-5. we do not need Hurricanes as well.

3 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Those old weather charts look like
an awful lot of rain for the place known as TheDustBowl...

Erudite Redneck said...

Sigh, on the Dust Bowl reference. We'll never live it down. :-)


I got my yard mowedc. Let it rain.

drlobojo said...

Dust bowl, well yes, we got the best soil in Colorado, Texas, and Kansas delivered to us. Also we have created so many mud holes, ponds, cattle tanks, lakes and reserviors that now have more surface water than Wisconsin.
Now most farms in Oklahoma are minimal or no till operations. That's why even though it is dryer and hotter than the 1930's even now, we are not in a dust bowl.