Monday, June 23, 2008

Life's Bucket List via The Smithsonian

The Smithsonian Life List .........
As the Baby Boomer’s get closer to retirement, they also get closer to the end of it all. Is it any wonder then that “Bucket List”, and “life List” consultants have popped up all over the place? So less look at one from the granddaddy of ultimate things the Smithsonian Institute.
“"life lists"—itineraries of things to do and places to go before taking the ultimate trip to the Great Beyond. Bookstores brim with titles such as 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die and—for the high-minded—Fifty Places to Go Birding Before You Die. A cottage industry of Web sites has also popped up, enabling life list enthusiasts to exchange ideas ranging from learning Japanese to getting a tattoo.’
Source for the quotes and the pictures:

So here are the 28 places one should see before one dies (the commentary is mine):
Portals into the Past”Walk the timeless streets and byways of ancient cities on three continents”

Been here done that several times, and plan to go back again. If you go, try to stay at the Far View Lodge in the park its self. Get one of the cabins up the hill. They all have porches that have an endless view.

Pompeii

Definitely on my list, As is nearby Naples and the Vesuvius that “created” Pompeii in the first place.

Tikal


– Star Wars! At least that’s what I think of when I see the pictures of Tikal. Definitely on my list.
– – Petra

– Yes to Petra and many other things in Jordon. I may put it down near the bottom of the list however just in case I kick off before I get to it.


Feats of Engineering”The world's surviving architectural wonders hewed from stone and mortar beckon as ever”

Got to put this one high on the list. Of course the museum at Cairo and a trip down the Nile have to be on the itinerary as well. Oh yes, we much not leave out Alexandria.

Most certainly on the list along with the Shalamar Gardens built for the pleasure of the same gal buried in the Taj Mahal.

Again a certain item on my list.

Naw, probably not going to put this one on the list. Too far for the money.


A Matter of Timing
Choosing the right year, month or even moment can make all the difference

This one may go on my list at the top. If nothing else, when they get active, I’ll get in my car and drive North till I see them! Check the Aurora Page to see what they are doing: www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

Yes, Yes, Yes, may even take a hot air balloon ride so as to see them, hear them and smell them during the migration season.

On the list about half way down. Might substitute Victoria Falls instead!

Now here is one I have wanted to see since like before ever. Trouble is, I can’t walk that far and need more oxygen than they have there. So maybe I will have to go into training for this one, or rent a plane.

Triumphs of Vision
”Come face to face with history's finest works of art and design”

Yes, most certainly. A week at least to see it maybe two, and even that won’t be enough.

Now here is something I am not prepared for. I mean I wouldn’t see what is there to be seen. So I think I’ll try one closer to home and work my way up.

Yes, combined of course with many other nearby treasures.

If I happen to be in the area I might drop in.

Scale New Heights
”Don't just see nature's most spectacular sites—experience them”

Too far. I would rather take a river boat up the Rhine to its headwaters .

Too far. Too costly. Too cold.

Maybe if I can get that hot air balloon to go that high. Climb it? No!

Already done this one. Down to the bottom and back up by foot. See my February 16, 2008 blog for this adventure:
http://lobojosden.blogspot.com/2008/02/there-and-back-again-down-grand-canyon.html


In the Presence of Gods
Encounter temples so magnificent then could only have been built by divine inspiration
Pagan

Too long a plane trip. Too much shooting going on here. Had my time ducking bullets thank you. Off the list.

Yes, oh, yes, and much more there too.

Nope. Distance and dollars again.

Ephesus

Absolutely, without a doubt. Put this one near the top.


Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?
Visit these deteriorating or threatened destinations before they disappear
Venice

So long as I am in the neighborhood, why not? I can get some beads there too I hear.

On an air conditioned boat and with a qualified archaeologist, I would do this.

No desire at all to do this. To far, and too long of a plane ride. I’ll stick to the tidal pools on the west coast thank you.

Let’s go! Someone make the reservation!

OK guys and gals, those that are kith and kin you have my “Let’s Go List”.
Say throw in Alaska, Switzerland, the British Museum, Mexico City and museum, and a train ride in Eritrea and it is fairly complete. I can be persuaded to go other places if I must.Now what do you think of these places?

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

My folks did a China trip last year and loved it. Saw the Great Wall and what's left of the Yangtze, plus some other cool stuff, including the terracotta soldiers (not on that list, but should be). So yeah, it's an expensive flight and a bit long, but it's a multiple-birds-with-one-stone thing.

For myself, I'd go to any of them, plus the ones you've listed! (Alaska is gorgeous, btw.) Would also add: New Zealand, Thailand, and Morocco.

drlobojo said...

I truely hate to fly. I have decided that I have a 10 hour tolerance and that's it. Maybe I could do it in stages. In about 10to 15 years we will have a bridge over the lower Bearing Straights. Then I can drive, hah!

drlobojo said...

Now train trips.
That's a whole nother list.

Kirsten said...

Yeah, I've only taken a couple of train trips, but they're really...well, just grand in a way that flying isn't. Maybe I watched too many old movies growing up?

One of these years I'm hoping to take the two cross-continent trains in one trip: the Canadian one from Montreal to Vancouver, then the US one from Seattle to Chicago.

BB-Idaho said...

At some point, passenger trains will make a comeback based on fuel efficiency:
Train 341
Truck 3367
Plane 9650
(BTU/Ton-Mile
...and I can't wait!!

TStockmann said...

I'd like to see the Alhambra. Also the Kaaba, but the price of admission is a bit steep whichever way you go. Made it as far as the warning sign on the road from the Asir to Mecca.

drlobojo said...

TS said: "Also the Kaaba, but the price of admission is a bit steep whichever way you go."

No Kidding! That awfully close. Been tempted myself, but....

Once when the Haj was going on, I thought about getting on a pilgrim ship at the port of Massawa on the Red Sea, but was persuaded to do differently.
However, a friend of mine, by the name of Greenberg, talked me into going with him to the largest Mosque in Asmara, Eritrea. That was about 40 years ago. We went on a Tuesday morning to prayers at one of the "appointed times". My Urdu was good enough to understand when what had to be done and his Swahili was almost perfect, so they welcomed us into the service.

They knew we were Americans but we knew the magic words, indeed technically then I guess because of that I am a Muslim.
But then so is my Jewish brethren, Greenberg. Looking back on it, I supposed they didn't just kill us out of courtesy and good manners.

Oh yes and he took me to a Falasha Synagogue on a different occasion. Sometimes, when I think on this stuff, I wonder how I have lived this long.