Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Obama and the Black Messiah

My friend ER has a post on his site about the diverse ways the Bible is read in a Southern Global Context. An example of that diversity of "reading" is being played out in the United States even on this day of Democratic Primary Elections in Indiana and North Carolina. Most American, who are used to hearing the rantings of many white evangelist on television and have long since grown inured to them, where startled to hear "Black" rantings coming from the pastor of the first Black man with a clear shot at the Presidency. What this , What's this they said....

Below is a thoughtful analysis of the situation from the Asian Times. It has been excerpted but the full article can be found at the citation at the end. Meanwhile check out the posting at the Erudite Rednecks as well (after you read mine of course): http://eruditeredneck.blogspot.com/2008/05/for-my-english-nonbeliever-friend-lee.html



Asian Times (On Line)
Excerpts:

The Peculiar Theology of Black Liberation

By Spengler

Senator Barack Obama ….belongs to a Christian church whose doctrine casts Jesus Christ as a "black messiah" and blacks as "the chosen people". At best, this is a radically different kind of Christianity than most Americans acknowledge; at worst it is an ethnocentric heresy. What played out last week on America's television screens was a clash of two irreconcilable cultures, the posture of "black liberation theology" and the mainstream American understanding of Christianity…..

One of the strangest dialogues in American political history ensued on March 15 when Fox News interviewed Obama's pastor, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, of Chicago's Trinity Church. Wright asserted the authority of the "black liberation" theologians James Cone and Dwight Hopkins:
Wright: How many of Cone's books have you read? How many of Cone's book have you read? Sean Hannity: Reverend, Reverend?
Wright: How many books of Cone's have you head?
Hannity: I'm going to ask you this question ...
Wright: How many books of Dwight Hopkins have you read?
Hannity: You're very angry and defensive. I'm just trying to ask a question here.
Wright: You haven't answered - you haven't answered my question.


Hopkins is a full professor at the University of Chicago's Divinity School; Cone is now distinguished professor at New York's Union Theological Seminary. They promote a "black power" reading of Christianity, to which liberal academic establishment condescends….

Obama referred to this when he asserted in a March 14 statement, "I knew Reverend Wright as someone who served this nation with honor as a United States Marine, as a respected biblical scholar, and as someone who taught or lectured at seminaries across the country, from Union Theological Seminary to the University of Chicago." But the fact the liberal academy condescends to sponsor black liberation theology does not make it less peculiar to mainstream American Christians. Obama wants to talk about what Wright is, rather than what he says. But that way lies apolitical quicksand.

Since Christianity taught the concept of divine election to the Gentiles, every recalcitrant tribe in Christendom has rebelled against Christian universalism, insisting that it is the "Chosen People" of God - French, English, Russian, Germans and even (through the peculiar doctrine of Mormonism) certain Americans. America remains the only really Christian country in the industrial world, precisely because it transcends ethnicity. One finds ethnocentricity only in odd corners of its religious life; one of these is African-American. During the black-power heyday of the late 1960s, after the murder of the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr, the mentors of Wright decided that blacks were the Chosen People. James Cone, the most prominent theologian in the "black liberation" school, teaches that Jesus Christ himself is black. As he explains:

Christ is black therefore not because of some cultural or psychological need of black people, but because and only because Christ really enters into our world where the poor were despised and the black are, disclosing that he is with them enduring humiliation and pain and transforming oppressed slaves into liberating servants.

Theologically, Cone's argument is as silly as the "Aryan Christianity" popular in Nazi Germany, which claimed that Jesus was not a Jew at all but an Aryan Galilean, and that the Aryan race was the "chosen people"……

Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. …….

Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.
In the black liberation theology taught by Wright, Cone and Hopkins, Jesus Christ is not for all men, but only for the oppressed…….

In this respect black liberation theology is identical in content to all the ethnocentric heresies that preceded it. Christianity has no use for the nations, a "drop of the bucket" and "dust on the scales", in the words of Isaiah. It requires that individuals turn their back on their ethnicity to be reborn into Israel in the spirit. That is much easier for Americans than for the citizens of other nations, for Americans have no ethnicity…….

In his response to Hannity, Wright genuinely seemed to believe that the authority of Cone and Hopkins, who now hold important posts at liberal theological seminaries, was sufficient to make the issue go away….…

Americans, who for the most part belong to Christian churches that preach mainstream Christian doctrine. Christianity teaches unconditional love for a God whose love for humankind is absolute; it does not teach the repudiation of a God who does not destroy our enemies on the spot. …

Obama views Wright rather at arm's length: as the New York Times reported on April 30, 2007: Reverend Wright is a child of the 60s, and he often expresses himself in that language of concern with institutional racism and the struggles the African-American community has gone through," Mr Obama said. "He analyzes public events in the context of race. I tend to look at them through the context of social justice and inequality.

Obama holds his own views close. But it seems unlikely that he would identify with the ideological fits of the black-power movement of the 1960s…..

It is possible that because of the Wright affair Obama will suffer for what he pretended to be, rather than for what he really is.


The complete article and related articles may be found at:http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/JC18Aa01.html

6 comments:

TStockmann said...

If this idiot thinks Mormons are the only American denomination (and isn't an ethnicity) which believes that America is uniquely favored by God, he lives in a cave, even apart from the deliciously contradictory: America remains the only really Christian country in the industrial world, precisely because it transcends ethnicity.

I, on the other hand, I'm not all that sure of WWJD - other than refrain from eating pork. Unlike most Americans.

drlobojo said...

One of the things about Spengler is that we don't know who he/she/it (or they) are. I noticed that statement with a smile myself. I suspect Spengler does not "live" in America.
I think however he makes a good book end to Cone's statements. I don't think Black Liberation Theology is "bad", it is however very dated and very third world, and thus misguided. However as I flew back into the U.S. from Africa the day after Martin Luther King's murder, I flew over the South side of Chicago and it was burning. That Black Liberation Theology would find root there is fully understandable.

Now, we have seen what effect this "Wright: Black Liberation Theology" would have on Obama's run for President. The verdict is in: Not Much An Effect At All.

Excellent, that is good. Not just for Obama but for America, all of America.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Oddly enough this is on-topic. Drlobojo, I owe you the biggest apology I have ever had to offer. Way, way back in comments on a post on March 30, in a discussion on matters racial, etc., I wrote the following sentence, never once proofing it for errors, or going back and reading it, until just now:
"I guess my position is this - I am most definitely telling you that you are wrong, racist, bigoted, narrow, or unenlightened. I am saying that while it is marvelous that you recognize the limitations of your own perspective, it is not enough to rest with resignation or satisfaction in that perspective."

My shame and guilt lie in not seeing - for over a month - the lack of one little three-letter word, "not", as in:
"I guess my position is this - I am most definitely not telling you that you are wrong, racist, bigoted, narrow, or unenlightened. I am saying that while it is marvelous that you recognize the limitations of your own perspective, it is not enough to rest with resignation or satisfaction in that perspective."

I realize now that missing that one little word completely changed the meaning of my comments, and the implications and intentions of our entire dialogue. Please forgive someone who typed is haste and proofread in leisure. That was my only error, but it was a sin most egregious.

drlobojo said...

Thank you, What was said did not seem to be the kind of thing you had been saying. I appreciate your clarification.

Once in a meeting with the administrators of a HBCU (Historically Black College or University: current PC term), I told the president , "Well, I'm not arguing with you." At which point he blew his stack. I ment, "There is no need to argue, I agree with you". He heard, " I'm right, I'm not go to argue with you about it." About half the room heard it one way and the other half the other (regardless of race). It took the whole damn meeting just to overcome that one not-careful-enough-statement and still everyone was angry when we adjourned.

That made me very careful after that. But time, age, and brain cell loss have eroded some of that caution and often I find myself in the "Geezer, I Don't Give a F..K" mode.

So does that mean we can bitch at each other in Peace?

Erudite Redneck said...

I can't say how relieved and glad I am to see this. Damn those invivisible "nots."

I was taught as a baby reporter to never ever write a story that said someone was found "not guilty" -- even though that's what happens -- but to write that someone was found "innocent" -- even though that is not what juries and judges find, for this very reason.

Wars start over such.

Peace to you both.

drlobojo said...

Peace... I have always equated peace with Hank William's "satisfied mind" and a place where no one is trying to kill me.

The "satisfied mind" I approached now and again but never quite arrived. The safe place will have to wait, actually it ain't gonna happen for me. For 40 years I have been dancing with PTSD. Took me twenty years to admit to it and try to understand it. When it is in bloom then I am not safe, my tapes of any perceived current threats and past threats roll like an old TV series playing over and over and over all day and all night. Damn, you can't anything done with all that dang noise.
Sorry, for the last few days I've been doing a slow dance with my "disorder", first time in years.
I ought to blog about, but when it isn't here I don't like to even think about it, much less try to analyse it. I guess in a way I'm blogging about it now. Anyhow, in this condition I swing between being lethal to others and/or me and wanting to curl up in a ball in the back of a dark closet somewhere far far away. So I double up on two of my meds, go see my young doc who gives me a hug, pats me on the shoulder and tells me what a good person I am and wouldn't it be nice if I continued being that good person (She means don't go out and act out your angry fantasies. We are not at war, killing people is illegal).

Say I guess maybe that's where the nuclear blog came from, huh?

Save your sympathy by the way. All that does is make me meaner.
Instead, look forward to the homecoming of the new crop or warriors who are even more damaged.

So, peace to ya'll as well.