Saturday, May 10, 2008

Nuclear War Address Change

Gripe and moan and groan and curse and grinch, Thing are just too terrible to talk about these days!


Bullshit!


You could be filling out one of these.




I remember watching the Hungarian Revolution on TV.


I remember just outside of a small Oklahoma town, watching an Atlas ICBM outside of its Silo, fueled up, emitting vapors under the flood lights, and ready to go somewhere.


I remember the Bay of Pigs.


I remember the U-2 (not the band) photos of the missile bases in Cuba being shown on TV.


I remember seeing the Hawk Missile batteries deployed along the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.


I remember when movies like "On The Beach" and "Seven Days in May" didn't seem like fiction.


I remember telling my girlfriend things were so bad that we might not have long to live.


I remember my girl friend telling me if didn't move my hand I wouldn't live very long anyway.


Maybe it ain't so very bad these days after all.


Dangerous yes, but it isn't likely we will need to fill out something like this soon.



Any other Cold War Survivors remember any of that stuff or more?

By the way you can purchase these and many other post cards of all shapes, types, and kinds at this very nice dealer online(Just browsing his stuff is a treat by itself):
http://stores.ebay.com/Outerbridge-Modern-Postcards

4 comments:

TStockmann said...

I remember clutching my knees under metal desk with a highly varnished and raisable blond-wood top. Added to the stucco construction school building, that was our bomb shelter duringthe drills. I suppose the real protection was the unheard but assumed prayers of our teachers, the nuns, most of whom subsequently left the convent for secular lives.

BB-Idaho said...

Coincidently, I toured the Hanford
Atomic site two weeks ago. They started making weapons-grade plutonium in 1944 and started irradiating lithium to produce
tritium for H-bombs in 1950. Their stuff went into 60,000 warheads.
Most people never heard of the place. The thinkers that came up with 'mutally assured destruction'
made a lot of us youngsters paranoid. The news clips of the
thermonuclear explosion over Bikini Island gave my little head
nightmares.....

drlobojo said...

Hanford, I was there 6 years ago. My daughter and her husband used to live in Spokane and we wandered around to such places on the way there and back ( I do love retirement).

At the time they were talking about the fear that the nuclear contaminated ground water was beginning to leak into the Columbia River. We may still end up paying a heavy price for out Cold War 'salvation'.

drlobojo said...

TS, when I was in grade school in a little country school called Weaver, we used to have B-47 and then B-52 bombers fly over us while were out on the play ground. They were from the SAC base north of the school located in Altus, Oklahoma. Every one of those planes carried atomic weapons. I had forgotten that memory, until I read your post and started thinking about whether we did that or not. We did not. Our Principal and several teachers were WWII and Korean War veterans. They knew we were within the blast zone of an attack on Altus, which would surely happen in case of war, so I guess they decide that would be a waste of time. We did however have tornado drills.