Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lewis and Clark in Space

The Bicentennial of the the Corps of Discovery a.k.a. the Lewis and Clark Expedition has been over a few years. I paid a lot of attention to the celebration in that I have been a Lewis and Clark student for quite some time. I collected a lot of images, most I took, but many came from the plethora of the WWW.

So I've decided to share with you dear readers, lookers, and lurkers some of the best pictures I have. I will do this over time as the mood strikes me of course like everything else in bloggerland.


Let us begin with the most Estoric of the Lewis and Clark items: Their Space Ships:




Movie uniform patch.



Probably one of the most grotesque movies I have ever seen was " The Event Horizon", not to be confused with the L&C movie "The Far Horizon". But it did have a space ship named the Lewis & Clark.



And so this is it, the Space ship Lewis and Clark from the movie " The event Horizon". Want to know more about it:





This little ship was one of the first Star Ships of the Star Trek imagination.

It is the UNSS Lewis and Clark of the Aventeur Class, as depicted in an early history of Star Trek ships.



This is later version Star Trek ship, the U.S.S. Lewis and Clark of the Andromeda Class.




And here some "action" shots of the U.S.S. L&C




And this little ship is a Type 6 Shuttle Craft named "Sacajawea" that was part of the Star Trek Voyager series. She's a little slicker that the WWII Liberty Class troop ship named Sacajawea(a.k.a. 612) , or even the WW II USN Tugboat Sacagawea (YT-326). Those will be taken up in a future post.

Yes there are even more, but they are the imagination of specific artist who hold copy rights on the pictures so I won't show them here.


So do you know of any other Lewis and Clark Space/Star Ships? Clue me in.

Future L&C post will be "down to earth".


Post Script:
How could I have missed the famous "Torch Ship" from Robert Heinlein. Named the 'Lewis and Clark' , it was a sub-light vehicle that traveled at 99% of light speed. It was sent out to the stars with several sets of telepathic twins used for communication. One being left on earth and the other on the ship.

5 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

My town is full of Lewis & Clark..
college, businesses etc. When I look down at night at all the lights, I often think "what would Lewis & Clark say about that?" Of course spaceships are even more esoteric to the 1805 explorers..
"Rose early this morning, muskuetors troubelsom set a corse NW 53 light years, by W 2.4 parsecs. Drewyer killed a 12 legged alien with silver fur.
Much sign of Klingons. Wee seek to meet their local chief fur talks
& obtain animuls fur transport by trade. Klingons are fond of blue beads etc & etc. Capt Clark much disposed by weightlessness, gave him two doses of laudanum & etc" Merriwether Lewis, Capt -StarDate 2719B15 :)

drlobojo said...

I can't help but wonder what Seaman would look like in a space suit.

Anonymous said...

My business was inspired by the Lewis & Clark expedition bicentennial.
I really enjoyed coming across this post.
Great stuff!

BB-Idaho said...

Other far less glamourous vessels named after Lewis & Clark and other expedition members were a number of Missouri River dredges
commissioned by the US Corps of Engineers: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0OXU/is_11_58/ai_111113845
...all four of the expedition's sergeants were so 'honored'.
Up this way, Lewis River became the Snake, Drewyer's River the Palouse, and Coulter's River the
Potlatch. Shouldn't mention, but
until a number of years back, we had a house of ill repute known as
Charbineau's. One wonders, though, given the import of their expedition, that new supernovas, martian craters or numerically described nebulae haven't picked up on these historical names.

drlobojo said...

Ah yes, I've been to the Lewis and to the Floyd. The Floyd is in great shape and has a neat little L&C museum in it. One preferable I might add to the new L&C center a few yards down from it.

Now the Lewis, at least on the two occasions I attempted to go aboard her, seems to be perpetually closed.
She seems to have not weathered the weather and time very well at all.
In that I started these L&C posts with the esoteric, I'll do the "Ships" next time.
As you may already know they have recently commisioned some USN vessels after the corp.