Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Perspective, Reality, and Shadows Talking to the Brain

Once upon a time, long, long ago and far, far away and in universe not unlike this one, I learned to read upside down and backwards. It was a skill I had to master to read the newspaper, that is the newspaper I was creating inside the chase on the stone where I was making-up the pages. All hot or cold type printers could do that then. It is a lost skill because there is now no need for it.
But it is a skill that has had strange benefits over the years. Doing that night after night after night burned pathways into my brain that most people haven't got and probably no-one needs.


PICTURE "A"

PICTURE "B"

What we have here is a matter of perspective, and altered reality, and the quirk of shadows playing with your brain. This is the kind of thing I pick out of a series of photos knowing from past experience if I twist things just a bit, they change completely, even thought they haven't changed at all.

Now if you have binocular vision, some people don't, picture "A" appears as a hole in a boulder.
This by the way is a picture I took going down the Grand Canyon in the previous blog. Picture "B" however will look like a raised surface. If you can't see that, don't bother any further with this blog.

In fact, that is in reality, they are the exact same picture. Picture "B" is picture "A" rotated 180 degrees. There are no tricks involved except those your mind is playing with you. The shadows are lying to you. well not really lying, shadows can't lie. You are misreading the environmental clues. Thus a hole becomes a mound, and a mound becomes a hole. (Don't believe me? Copy one of them onto your computure and rotate it your own self) A good artist can use this phenomena to create some really interesting effects in their paintings. Next time you are in an art gallery try standing on your head and see what you can learn.

Which picture is "correct" you ask. That's my little secrete.

5 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

'Smoke & mirrors'. With the caveat of going through college without a single geology course,
my very tentative guess is that the original was a depression..based on my having never seen a protusion of that shape except perhaps in caves.
Then again, lava is just as confusing as photo shadows....

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Actually, that's a trick question, because both pictures are "correct".

drlobojo said...

All questions are trick questions.

The CFO at the last place I worked gave me a disertation on "correct" and "right" and "true" once upon a time.

The depression is the "true" form that should be perceived.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Speaking of perspective, I would point out that our mutual friend is on his Confederate kick again.

I think I'm going to send him some goober peas and hard tack.

drlobojo said...

Yep, saw that there.
I actually have some 10 year old hard-tack I got at Lewis and Clark meeting. You've given me an idea for a gift.