Friday, October 26, 2007

The Last Gift: The Moose


As we passed through the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park we had not seen the wolves or moose asked for of Grandfather. I chided my son about the power of his totem. Only a 60% delivery, said I. Not so, the kid said, the coyote after all is a prairie wolf . OK, I said, I'll give you 10% on the Coyote, but not the whole 20%.


As we drove down the pass away from the Park, the valley opened up and the Shoshone River began to grow in size to the south of the road. Then, at the edge of the river was this black shadow.



It was a moose. The light was almost all gone and he was moving pretty fast along the shore. I handed my grown kid the camera, rolled down the window, and stopped the car. See if you can get some pictures, I said. Out of about a dozen tries, two came out pretty good. Dang, if Grandfather didn't deliver a 90% success said I. The bear, the elk, the bison, half the wolf, and now the moose, pretty good medicine after all.



The old fires left a bunch of the scenery looking like this.



In a way the Yellowstone fires opened up the landscape and made it easier to see the animals.


We didn't spend much time with the geomorphology of the Park, but we did stop and take pictures of scenes like this.


Also this view of Lake Yellowstone was a breath taker.

Thanks to Grandfather Raven, it was a very good day.

No comments: