Friday, September 7, 2007

INVOKED OR NOT INVOKED



"Vocatus Atque Non Vocatus, Deus Aderit"

--Erasmus

The inscription on Karl Jung's tomb.
The inscription over my fireplace.

Translations:

"Bidden Or Not Bidden, God Is Present."

"Called Or Uncalled, God Is Present."

"Invoked Or Not Invoked, God Is Here"

"Summoned Or Not Summoned. God is Present."


All those shades of meaning from one little five word saying when translated from the Latin. What chance is there that we can ever understand one another?

4 comments:

TStockmann said...

I have more faith in commonality, because the essence of the point about God is in all five renditions: "It's not up to YOU."

Not that I agree.

drlobojo said...

Could be, could it not, that it means: "He' always on my back no matter what I want"?
Maybe, wanted or not wanted, God is watching you?

Pecheur said...

You know I kinda like this post. Thanks for being a faithful reader. Sometimes out of sight means out of mind. I enjoy your company.

drlobojo said...

You are welcome. Keep your blog going, I enjoy reading it.