Monday, April 23, 2007

Hokie Hokum ?

Now that there is a least some distance between the obscenity of Mr. Chou's fatal 100 bullet input into 32 people, it is time to examine some of the other strange goings-on associated with the massacre.
For example the media's love affair with the Hokie spirit.
I was a little taken aback that first night at a candlelight vigil when the students began the school chant hokies-hokies -hokies etc.
It seems kind of like a good sermon in church being applauded at the end.
Something not quite right here.
As the days went on the Hokie's spirit was mentioned over and over again and again and exhibited and so on and so forth by the students and the media?
And in the Hokie spirit the school's stumblingly's were excused by the Hokies themselves.
As time went on I became more and more uncomfortable with it.
Last night at the diner for the White House press, some of the news people began the chant in a memorial to the slain students, Hokie-Hokie-Hokie.
By now I am actually troubled by it.
It seems sort of the wrong kind of spirit to be invoked here.
Some say I just don't understand.
Maybe so. But it does seem slightly....blasphemous.

6 comments:

TStockmann said...

or...symptomatic

wlcome to the blogosphere, sir

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes, finally you too have come to the dark side. Welcome my friend

drlobojo said...

I am hoping that it is just a temporary aberation. I had to register with google to leave comments on Dr.ER's blog and then there was the blank space and I had this opinion and well.... God will forgive me I'm sure... or maybe the blogosphere is outside the grace....surely not.

Erudite Redneck said...

Dude, that is *exactly* how I started blogging. I wanted to comment on Tech's blog and, big fiddle (viola, ha ha), I had me a blog.

And look at me now.

Trixie said...

Welcome, Dr.!

Dr. ER said...

You shoulda done this a long time ago, lobodoctordude. You've put a lot of your own erudition on ER's blog and you oughta get nice and provocative here.